Week 2- Secrets of the Biggest Weight Losers- What do those who have lost weight and kept it off have in common?
The National Weight Control Registry (NWCR) was formed to study the habits of people who have been able to lose weight and keep it off for a substantial amount of time. The NWCR is tracking over 10,000 people through follow-up surveys and questionnaires. Here are some of their key findings:
- There was no single way to lose weight that worked the best. Participants used a variety of techniques including diet only, diet and exercise (most common technique) , group programs, and individual efforts.
- Most used a low fat- high carb diet and they ate breakfast everyday.
- Almost half of the participants indicated that they limited the quantity of food eaten (reducing their portions), but did not deprive themselves of specific foods.
- Half stated they counted calories or at least kept up with what they ate each day.
- The most variety of foods eaten was from nutrient-dense food groups such as grains, fruits and vegetables.
- Many weight themselves daily or at least weekly.
- Most exercise about an hour each day- 28% chose walking as their only form of exercise.