There’s got to be a better name for this recipe that “chicken bombs” but since these bombs are the bomb then that’s what it will be. Let’s see: One pot meal, low carb, cheesy, diabetes friendly, Greek tasting’- everything you’ll need for a great meal for both family and guests. You may use either chicken breasts or thighs for this recipe- just be sure to adjust the cooking time as needed and check doneness with a meat thermometer. If you’d like a version of this recipe with a tex mex twist, try out my Cheesy Spinach and Rotel Stuffed Chicken Breasts.
Low Carb Greek Chicken Bombs
Low carb Greek seasoned chicken breasts or thighs make a delicious and healthy one pot meal.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 small mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach (may use frozen-drain and squeeze to remove excess moisture)
- 2 Tablespoons black olives
- ⅓ cup feta cheese
- 4 medium size chicken thighs or breasts (4-6 oz. each)
- 1 teaspoon crushed oregano
- salt & pepper
- ⅓ cup grated Italian cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in an oven proof skillet, then add onions, mushrooms and garlic and cook until tender. Add in spinach and cook 1-2 minutes until wilted. (Or if using frozen spinach, cook until heated).
- Remove mixture from heat and stir in olives and feta.
- Cut a large pocket in chicken thigh or breast and stuff with spinach mixture. Secure closed with toothpicks and sprinkle with oregano, salt and pepper as desired.
- Add 1 teaspoon olive oil to oven proof skillet and heat. Lightly brown chicken pieces.
- Add any remaining spinach stuffing mixture on top of chicken, then sprinkle with Italian cheese.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until done.
- Let sit 5 minutes before serving to maximize flavors.
Serving size: 1 thigh Calories: 226 Fat: 12 Saturated fat: 4 Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 4 Sugar: 2 Sodium: 410 Fiber: 1 Protein: 27 Cholesterol: 115