Tex-Mex Keto Squash Casserole
Cheesy, creamy and low carb squash casserole makes the perfect side dish.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 pounds summer squash, sliced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 can ro*tel tomatoes, drained may use mild if desired
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese,grated reserve ½ cup for topping
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat oil in a large skillet then add squash and onions. Cook and stir occasionally until tender - about 8-10 minutes. Drain any liquid from squash.
In a large bowl, stir together drained squash/onion mixture and remaining ingredients (reserve ½ cup cheese). Adjust salt and pepper if desired.
Pour mixture into a medium sized casserole dish and sprinkle with reserved cheese.
Bake until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly-about 20-30 minutes. Allow to set 5-10 minutes.
Expert tips for making squash casserole
- Start by pre-cooking the squash in a pan rather than boiling it. This will help reduce the moisture in the squash and help keep the casserole from being watery.
- Drain the can of tomatoes and chilies well- to help reduce moisture in the casserole.
- Use sharp cheese for best flavor.
Calories: 248kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 313mg | Potassium: 464mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 598IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 206mg | Iron: 1mg