Small Batch Cornbread
Use a small skillet or pan to cook authentic Southern style cornbread. One portion is about 14gm carb and ready in about 30 minutes!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 teaspoon + 1 Tablespoon oil
- ¼ cup whole grain cornmeal
- ¼ cup unbleached whole grain all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg white
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Add 1 teaspoon oil to a 6 ½" skillet. Place the skillet in the oven as it preheats.
In a small bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder and soda. Stir with a whisk to combine well.
Combine buttermilk, egg white and remaining 1 Tablespoon oil. Stir with a whisk to combine well.
Pour buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients and stir to combine.
When your oven signals it has reached 425 degrees, take the skillet out and pour in the cornbread batter which will sizzle as it spreads in skillet.
Return skillet to oven and cook for 15-20 minutes or until top is browned and crispy.
- Substitute a small baking dish (about 6 ½") if you don't have a skillet. (Omit step 2 in the recipe.)
- Use a whisk or fork to combine the dry ingredients.
- Like a brown and crispy top? Place the cornbread under the broiler for a few minutes. (Be sure you are using a broiler-safe skillet or pan.)
Calories: 92kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 248mg | Potassium: 121mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 35IU | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 0.7mg