Low Carb Chile Relleno Casserole
Enjoy this easy Low Carb Chile Relleno Casserole with no guilt! Ground beef and lots of peppers and cheese makes satisfying Mexican food!
- ½ lb ground beef, lean
- ½ cup onions, diced
- 8 oz diced or whole roasted chiles or 2 fresh poblanos, roasted and peeled
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Brown ground beef with onion and sprinkle with salt and pepper as desired.
In an 8 X 8 oven proof baking dish, layer chiles. Next add layer of ground beef onion mixture. Next add layer of cheddar and monterey jack cheese.
Whisk together remaining ingredients then pour over casserole. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until mixture is set and cheese is golden and bubbly.
Serve immediately with salsa and sour cream if desired.
- Make this recipe even more flavorful by roasting a couple of poblano chiles in the oven. Place chiles in a paper bag to steam then peel and use in place of canned chiles.
- Grate your cheese from a block instead of using pre-grated. You will get a cheesier, meltier (is that a word?) result! Only have pre-grated cheese? No worries- it is fine to use too.
- Use ground beef or ground round- whichever you prefer.
Calories: 421kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 202mg | Sodium: 480mg | Potassium: 402mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1158IU | Vitamin C: 47mg | Calcium: 361mg | Iron: 2mg