Tomato Pie made Diabetes Friendly
Low carb tomato pie makes a delicious summertime lunch or brunch! Enjoy your fresh tomatoes and basil with a lightened-up pie crust.
- ½ prepared pie crust
- 1 large tomato,sliced
- ⅓ cup green onion,chopped about 1 green onion
- 10 basil leaves, small, chopped
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- ¼ cup mayo
- ⅛ tsp salt
- dash ground pepper
Preheat oven to 400°. Cut a prepared roll of pie crust in ½. Return unused ½ to refrigerator for another use. Flour surface lightly and roll out remaining ½ crust thinly and fit into 8" pan. Prick with fork then bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. (After removing pie, reduce oven temp to 350° for final baking.)
Meanwhile, lightly salt sliced tomatoes and allow to drain on paper towels or colander.
Layer drained tomatoes, green onions and basil into prebaked crust.
In a small bowl, mix cheese, mayo, salt and pepper. Spread mixture on top of basil.
Bake pie at 350° for approx 20 minutes or until bubbly and cheese begins to brown.
- Use fresh Summer tomatoes for best results and flavor.
- Be sure to salt and drain tomatoes which helps reduce excess juice in the final pie.
- Sprinkle a small amount of flour on surface before rolling out pie crust to make transfer easier.
- Use an 8" pan for best results.
Calories: 317kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 428mg | Potassium: 179mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 798IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 218mg | Iron: 1mg