Cheesy Spinach and Rotel Stuffed Chicken Breast
Make this diabetes-friendly, one-dish meal using items you probably already have on hand. Tender chicken breasts stuffed with spinach, rotel and cheese make a quick, low carb meal option.
- 2 lb chicken breasts, skinless and boneless (4)
- 1 10 oz. pkg frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained or may use fresh (2 cups)
- 1 10 oz. can mild Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies drained
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese- your favorite type increase to 3/4 cup if you want filling extra cheesy
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 teaspoons olive oil divided
- cumin powder
- garlic powder
- 1/2 cup diced onions optional
- 1 can black beans optional
- 1/4 cup chicken broth optional
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Butterfly chicken breasts. (Cut partially through the center of chicken breast making a pocket)
Add 2 tsp oil to skillet and heat. Brown chicken breasts slightly on both sides, then remove from skillet. (The chicken will not be fully cooked yet.)
Combine spinach, rotel and cheese in a medium bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Divide spinach mixture into 4 portions and stuff into each chicken breast.
(Saute onions and black beans in 2 tsp oil -if using. About 1-2min.)
Add stuffed chicken breasts back to skillet and place on top of bean mixture (if using). Add any extra spinach mixture to pan and add 1/4 cup broth to skillet if desired.
Sprinkle chicken breasts with seasonings.
Cover pan with oven-proof lid or foil and place in oven.
Bake 20-30 minutes or until internal temp of chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- Use a large oven proof skillet for this recipe- its a one pan meal!
- If using frozen spinach, be sure to thaw and drain well. If using fresh spinach, there will be lots of liquid in the pan after cooking. Simply drain if desired.
- Choose the type of rotel you like- mild, regular, etc.
Serving: 4oz | Calories: 396kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 55g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 160mg | Sodium: 472mg | Potassium: 1310mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 9443IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 243mg | Iron: 3mg