This post may contain affiliate links, see my Affiliates Disclosure.
Who loves tomato pie? Who wants a lower carb version? If you answered yes to these 2 questions, today is your lucky day! How about a phyllo crust + extra veggies+ extra protein from a few added eggs? This recipe is super easy to make and most of the ingredients (except the phyllo) are probably items you have on hand. This would be a great recipe for a brunch, lite supper or as a meal for a friend or family member with diabetes.. Hope you like it!
Low Carb Veggie Pie
- 5-6 sheets frozen phyllo dough thawed
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil divided
- ½ cup frozen or fresh diced onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 10 oz. pkg frozen spinach thawed and drained well
- 1 medium ripe tomato sliced (place slices on paper towel to remove excess juice)
- ½ cup cheese your choice
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- pinch nutmeg
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly coat a 9 inch pie pan (or cake pan) with oil. Brush phyllo sheets with 2 tablespoon olive oil (may need slightly more or less oil) and place in pan, one at a time. When finished, press crust lightly into pan and trim any excess around edges.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and mushrooms and sauté until tender about 5-10 minutes. Add drained spinach and toss with other veggies. Heat thoroughly.
- Combine eggs, milk and nutmeg in a separate bowl, set aside.
- Sprinkle cheese into prepared crust then top with spinach mixture. Arrange sliced tomatoes over the top then pour egg mixture over all. Sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste.
- Place pie on a baking sheet and cook about 30-40 minutes or until center is set.
- Serve immediately. Store leftovers in refrigerator.