A lower carb fish fry with all the trimmings. Make just a few recipe adjustments and enjoy this popular Southern meal!
Low Carb Catfish Fry- A fish fry with all the high carb "trimmings" is a popular menu item and family meal in many areas including the Southern U.S. A typical fish fry can sometimes exceed over 90gm carbohydrate!
I decided to tweak this meal to make it less of a carb-tastrophe and a little more diabetes-friendly. Fried catfish is included in my version so you would want to continue to let this be a "special occasion" meal. The catfish is fried in a light cornmeal batter then placed atop a bed of shredded cabbage and drizzled with a no sugar added slaw-type dressing. The cornmeal batter replaces hushpuppies made of cornmeal. No fish fry is complete without potatoes, so I included a few waffle fries as a garnish. I want to call this a fish fry salad!
Hope this lets you enjoy a favorite meal without worrying about a spike in your glucose levels. Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
A Lower Carb Southern Style Fish Fry
- For the fish:
- ¾-1 lb catfish filets or your favorite type fish
- ⅓ cup milk
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- 2 Tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- ¾ cup frying oil
- For the salad:
- 4 cups sliced cabbage
- 2-3 radishes sliced thinly
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- For the dressing:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup light sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon sriracha sauce
- ¼ teaspoon Old bay Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon relish
- salt & pepper to taste
- Frozen waffle fries- about 3 per person- baked per package instructions
- Slice the fish fillets into strips and place in a small bowl.
- Pour milk over fish and set aside.
- Combine the cornmeal and flour in a small bowl.
- Salt and pepper the filets and coat lightly in cornmeal mixture.
- Fry the fish in hot oil until golden brown, allow fish to drain on a paper towel lined plate or on a rack.
- Prepare the dressing by combining all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- To assemble: Place about 1 cup sliced cabbage on plate with radish slices and a few cherry tomatoes. Arrange 2 -3 slices of fish over cabbage then drizzle with dressing. Garnish with 3 waffle fries. Repeat process to make a total of 4 salads.