This salad is a variation I developed based on my orzo Greek salad. I also added cannellini beans to up the protein level. This recipe would make a great Meatless Monday recipe or quick salad to take for lunch. I like to prepare this salad the night before so the flavors have time to combine. Enjoy!
Greek Salad with Quinoa and Cannellini Beans
Enjoy a Mediterranean-inspired salad full of delicious ingredients!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 1 large tomato , diced (approx. 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons parsley , chopped
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate vinegar , or your favorite vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil , divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cucumber , peeled, cored and diced (approx. 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup black olives , sliced
- 2 green onions , diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 to 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce , optional
- 1/2 cup feta cheese , crumbled, optional
Cook quinoa according to package directions. Set aside until cool.
Meanwhile, toss cannellini beans, tomato and parsley with vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil and ground pepper. Set aside 10-15 minutes to allow flavors to develop; stir occasionally.
Add quinoa, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, cucumber, olives, green onion, lemon juice and oregano to bean mixture. Toss lightly.
To serve, garnish with feta and pepperoncini, as desired. May be served over romaine lettuce if desired.