Mid summer is a great time to experiment with new squash casserole recipes. Seems like everywhere you look, there is summer squash! Here’s a creamy, tex mex take on the traditional squash casserole that comes together in a snap.
Bonus: this recipe is also low carb! I used mild rotel in my recipe and it worked perfectly with the creamy ingredients to make a delicious side dish.
Tex-Mex Squash Casserole
- 2 pounds summer squash, sliced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 can rotel tomatoes, drained may use mild if desired
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese,grated reserve 1/2 cup for topping
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add squash, onion and 3/4 tsp salt to a large pot and cover with water. Simmer until crisp tender-about 7-9 minutes. Strain squash and onions and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together squash and remaining ingredients (except 1/2 cup cheese). Adjust salt and pepper if desired.
- Pour mixture into a medium sized casserole dish and sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly-about 20-30 minutes. Allow to set 5-10 minutes.