Our very favorite green beans in a can recipe! Perfect for weeknights or holidays - bacon bits and seasonings perk up plain canned green beans into a family favorite. Ready in about 15 minutes.
Everyone has a can of green beans in their pantry, but they do need a special touch to earn a place on your table. These delicious green beans may start out blah but with a little help, your family will be craving this recipe!
Not only can you add these canned green beans to your weekly menu rotation, you will also want to add them to your holiday menus. You can make them ahead of time too!
- Canned green beans- use any brand you like. I use whole green beans.
- Bacon pieces- use your favorite bacon bits/pieces
- Butter- use your favorite brand
- Worcestershire sauce-any brand
- Brown sugar- or brown sugar substitute
- Garlic powder
Begin by rinsing and draining the canned green beans in a colander.
Next, melt the butter in a sauce pan and add brown sugar or brown sugar substitute, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder. Stir to combine.
Allow sauce to simmer briefly, then add green beans and heat thoroughly.
Sprinkle with bacon bits before serving.
Want to jazz up your green beans even more? Try these add ins for even more flavor:
- Add a few drops of hot sauce
- Sprinkle in some slivered almonds
- Canned mushrooms
- Sautéed chopped onions or a sprinkle of onion powder
Try making this recipe ahead! Prepare the sauce and allow it to cool. Mix in green beans then cover and refrigerate. When ready to serve, heat green beans then sprinkle bacon bits on top.
Frequently asked questions
Rinsing will help improve the flavor of your finished recipe. Here is a link explaining why you should drain your green beans prior to cooking.
Refrigerate any leftover green beans for up to 3 days.
There are approx 3 servings in a 14.5 oz can of green beans.
Yes, be sure to use brown sugar substitute and light margarine. There are about 4gm carb per serving.
Green Beans in a Can Recipe
- 2 14.5 ounce cans green beans whole or cut
- 2½ Tablespoon Butter or light margarine
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar or Brown Sugar Substitute
- ¼ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Bacon bits or pieces
- Drain and rinse green beans.
- In medium size sauce pan, melt butter on medium heat. Add Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and garlic powder. Stir to combine. Add green beans and stir.
- Cook until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with bacon bits and serve.