Here’s another low carb bowl that makes a delicious week night supper! You can serve this diabetes-friendly bbq chicken bowl as is or on a bed of sautéed peppers and onions to the low carb diners and add a bun and make a sandwich for those that want more carbs. Try to use a lower carb barbecue sauce or make your own lower carb sauce. If you like this low carb bbq chicken bowl, be sure to check out my Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Bowl and my Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Bowl.
The chicken and onions will need to cook together before adding the bbq sauce. In the photo above, you can see the chicken has browned well- which will add extra flavor to the finished recipe.
The photo above shows the chicken and onions with bbq sauce added. Try to find a lower carb bbq sauce or make your own to help keep carbs in check.
Low Carb BBQ Chicken Bowl
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/3 cup lower carb BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Heat oil in a medium skillet. Add onions and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Salt and pepper thighs then place in skillet with onions. Cover and cook on medium/low 2-3 minutes. Uncover and cook until temp reaches 165 degrees F- about 9-10 minutes.
- Using 2 forks, shred chicken then stir in BBQ sauce. Top with cheese and cover 1-2 minutes to melt cheese