This post may contain affiliate links, see my Affiliates Disclosure.
Low Carb Steak Taco Bowl uses leftover meat and veggies you probably already have on hand. Cook this recipe in a large skillet for a one pot meal! This steak taco recipe is super flexible as you can use any leftover beef or steak. You can also use ground beef here, but I find the steak strips make for a more satisfying meal since they are heartier. This recipe is just like fajitas except the cheese is added to the dish and served as is, rather than in a taco shell. You could serve this in low carb tortillas, though, for a great family friendly meal.
There are also recipes for low carb tortillas using cheese– I’ve never made these, but that would work great with this recipe! Here is a link to a low carb taco shell that uses pork rinds– it has great ratings too! Another option is to stuff the taco bowl mixture into bell peppers. Bell peppers make great “edible bowls” for low carb fillings- check out my low carb philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers which cooks in one pot on top of the stove- very easy.
Low Carb Steak Taco Bowl
- 1 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 small onion, sliced thinly
- 8 small portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small poblano pepper may use bell pepper
- salt and pepper
- 10 oz steak, sliced thinly
- 1 Tbsp taco seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup queso melting cheese
- Heat 1-2 teaspoons olive oil in a medium skillet and add garlic, onions, mushrooms and peppers. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, as desired. Remove from skillet.
- Add taco mix to sliced steak. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil to skillet and heat over medium. Add steak and stir fry until brown and cooked- about 1-2 minutes depending on thickness of slices.
- Add cooked veggies back to skillet with steak and stir.
- Heat queso and pour over steak mixture.