I love muffins! It's so easy to pack lots of healthful ingredients into them. This recipe makes 12 muffins, so there will be plenty to freeze for busy mornings.
High Protein Oat and Flax Muffins
- 1 ½ cups unbleached white wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 medium banana , mashed
- ½ cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 ¼ cup oats , divided
- ¾ cup coconut , divided
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a 12 muffin pan with liners and coat with nonstick spray.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine 1st six ingredients (flour through cinnamon). Stir well with a whisk to mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add egg and vanilla, mix well.
- Stir mashed banana and yogurt into butter mixture.
- Slowly add flour mixture to banana mixture.
- Stir in 1 cup oats and ½ cup coconut.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin liners evenly.
- Mix remaining oats and coconut and sprinkle evenly over muffin batter.
- Cook 12-15 minutes or until done.
- Serve warm with honey if desired.