This post may contain affiliate links, see my Affiliates Disclosure.
Low Carb Chicken Philly Cheesesteak is the perfect recipe for a delicious, health and quick-fix meal. In less than 30 minutes, you can enjoy a diabetes-friendly meal the whole family will love. CLICK BELOW FOR THE LOW CARB CHEESESTEAK VIDEO:
I'm back with more philly cheesesteak!!! Now do you believe me when I say "I'll never give up my quest for the ultimate low carb philly cheesesteak recipe"? First there was Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Cups, next there was Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Mushrooms and then Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Bowl! Now my fellow cheesesteak lovers, I give you my low carb chicken-based version. ♥
This recipe is perfect if you are cooking for either low carb eaters or people with diabetes and also for those who have no diet restrictions. Just add in a hoagie roll or hamburger bun and dinner is done.
How To Make Low Carb Chicken Philly Cheesesteak:
It all begins with thinly sliced chicken breasts. I sliced my chicken partially frozen which helps tremendously with getting the super thin slices I wanted. If your chicken is fresh or thawed, simply place it back in the freezer for 15-20 minutes to get it to a semi-frozen state. (You can slice the chicken breasts without freezing them, it just makes things a little easier)
Next, I added my seasonings to the raw sliced chicken and made sure all pieces were coated. I let this sit a few minutes while I warmed up a little olive oil in my skillet. (You could complete this step up to a day ahead of time if you'd like. Just store the chicken in fridge until your ready.)
When your olive oil is heated, add the chicken slices and spread them out. I used a large skillet here and it allowed enough room for 2 large chicken breasts.
As the chicken browns, continue spreading the pieces out and turning them so each side is nicely browned. For this part, you want to keep the heat at a level that keeps the chicken lightly browning- I used medium and adjusted slightly up and down from there. (Just try not to cook it too low or it will just steam in its juices instead of browning!)
After your chicken has browned, remove it from the skillet and add back more olive oil. It won't take long for the oil to heat, so go ahead and get those veggies in and stir until soft. (I used frozen veggies to save time, feel free to use fresh!) Add the chicken back to the skillet with the peppers and onions and stir to combine.
Guess what? You're almost there!! Now lay sliced cheese over all and put a lid over this to melt. (Take my advice and try not to use a clear lid because once you see that cheese starting to melt it gets way too tempting...) Here I used sliced provolone, but you could also use mozzarella, pepper jack, etc.
So there you have it. Hope you love this recipe as much as I do- Be sure to check out my post 19 low carb meals you can (almost) make without a recipe for more low carb meal ideas!
Looking for More Low Carb Philly Cheese Steak Recipes?
Check out the awesome blogs listed below for more delicious low carb CHEESESTEAK! Philly Cheese Steak Wraps from Low Carb Maven Low Carb Philly Cheese Steak Stuffed Mushrooms by I Breathe I'm Hungry Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Casserole by Grassfed Mama
Low Carb Chicken Philly Cheesesteak
- 10 oz boneless chicken breasts (about 2)
- 2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 dash ground pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- ½ cup diced onion fresh or frozen
- ½ cup diced bell pepper fresh or frozen
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 3 slices provolone cheese or queso melting cheese
- Slice chicken breasts into very thin pieces (freeze slightly if desired to make this easier) and place in a medium bowl. Add next 4 ingredients (worcestershire through ground pepper) and stir to coat chicken.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large (9") oven proof skillet. Add chicken pieces and cook until browned -about 5 minutes. Turn pieces over and cook about 2-3 minutes more or until brown. Remove from skillet.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil to warm skillet. Then add onions, bell pepper and garlic. Cook and stir to heated and tender- 2-3 minutes.
- Turn heat off and add chicken back to skillet and stir with veggies to combine. Place sliced cheese over all and cover 2-3 minutes to melt.
- Note: Serve up in bowls for those eating low carb. Serve with warm hoagie rolls for others.