Low Carb Philly Cheese Steak Bowl uses already-in-your-pantry ingredients to make a quick and easy favorite even better. If your family wants traditional cheese steak, just warm up a few hoagie rolls and everyone's happy!
So you're probably wondering when I'm going to stop with the philly cheese steak recipe variations- never! (obviously) First there was Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Cups, next there was Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Mushrooms and now there's Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Bowl! (Follow up alert: I've since posted a chicken based version of this recipe : Low Carb Chicken Philly Cheesesteak Bowl !!)
So no, I will never give up on my pursuit of the ultimate low carb philly cheese steak experience. Thanks to modern technology, I can share my obsession with the millions (lol) who read my blog!
In this version, we have grilled peppers, mushrooms and onions as a base- you can also roast these in the oven rather than grilling them if you prefer, but they are
delicious AMAZING grilled. Just sayin'.
So let's get started: Procure your ingredients (speaking of ingredients, we are using ground beef, how easy is that?) and meet me below in the recipe box (aka philly cheesesteak lounge).
Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Bowl
- 1 pound lean ground beef grass fed if available
- ½ cup lower sodium beef broth
- 1-2 Tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 medium onions
- 3 green bell peppers
- 5-6 mushrooms halved
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- salt and pepper as desired
- Brown the ground beef in a nonstick skillet.
- Drain excess fat from skillet and add broth and worcestershire sauce to beef. Continue to cook on medium until liquid is absorbed. Salt and pepper beef as desired.
- Turn heat off and arrange cheese slices over ground beef - cover pan and allow cheese to melt.
- Cut peppers and onions into large pieces and place in a medium bowl. Add mushrooms and toss with 1 teaspoon olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper as desired.
- Grill veggies over medium heat until crisp tender, turning as needed. (Or roast in a 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes until crisp tender)
- Divide veggie mixture between 4 bowls. Top with beef divided equally among bowls.