This post may contain affiliate links, see my Affiliates Disclosure.
SPINACH + RICOTTA= YUM. A low carb side dish that could pass as an entree? We have it now. Actually, I served this with lightly sautéed sliced pork tenderloin and it was delicious together. I usually keep phyllo pastry and either fresh or frozen spinach at all times, so all I needed to pick up for this was the ricotta cheese. It was worth the trip to the grocery! If you love spinach, you will hopefully enjoy this super easy recipe- one that would be perfect for guests and family alike!
Low Carb Spinach Ricotta Roll
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic finely diced
- 4-5 small portabella mushrooms cleaned and coarsely chopped
- 1 # fresh spinach- cleaned and chopped
- 1/2 cup ricotta may add more if you like
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 10 sheets phyllo dough thawed
- olive oil spray
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.F.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet then add onions and garlic. Sauté until tender (2-3 minutes) then add mushrooms and spinach. Cook 2-3 minutes (stirring occasionally) until spinach wilts.
- In a medium bowl, add spinach mixture and squeeze to remove excess liquid. Add cheeses, lemon juice, nutmeg, oregano and salt/pepper as desired. Stir to combine and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet and begin layering phyllo sheets-spraying each sheet with olive oil spray until all sheets are stacked.
- Spread spinach mixture a few inches above the edge of the longer side of the phyllo dough forming a log shape then roll up dough around filling leaving ends open. Spray lightly with olive oil spray then cut several small slits in top to vent.
- Cook 15-20 minutes or until phyllo is light brown.
- Slice and serve warm.