This post may contain affiliate links, see my Affiliates Disclosure.
This low carb chile relleno casserole will help you satisfy your Mexican food craving while watching your carb intake. This recipe calls for either canned or fresh peppers (whichever you have). I used diced green chiles because I had them in my pantry. I have also made this low carb casserole with fresh poblano peppers and they were awesome! I roasted them in the oven then let them steam and they were easily peeled. Also, I have made this with and without the ground beef and it’s great either way.
How to make low carb chile relleno casserole:
Step 1 – Begin browning the ground beef with onions. You may omit this step and leave off the ground beef if you desire.
Here is the browned ground beef. (In case you are wondering “What does browned ground beef look like?” I got you covered.)
Step 2- Layer the green chiles (fresh roasted and peeled or canned) in a medium size casserole dish.
Step 3- Add the ground beef layer on top of the chiles. (You can omit this step if you are leaving off ground beef)
Step 4- The above pic shows you the cheese layer covered with remaining ingredients. (milk and egg mixture)
Step 5- This step involves digging in! I topped mine with salsa and sour cream. A side salad would be the perfect accompaniment.
Looking for more low carb Mexican recipes?
Low Carb Mexican Chicken Bowl by easyhealthllc.com
Low Carb Mexican Fajita Bowl by easyhealthllc.com
Low Carb Chile Relleno Casserole
- 1/2 lb ground beef, lean
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 8 oz diced or whole roasted chiles or 2 fresh poblanos, roasted and peeled
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brown ground beef with onion and sprinkle with salt and pepper as desired.
- In an 8 X 8 oven proof baking dish, layer chiles. Next add layer of ground beef onion mixture. Next add layer of cheddar and monterey jack cheese.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients then pour over casserole. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until mixture is set and cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Serve immediately with salsa and sour cream if desired.