This post may contain affiliate links, see my Affiliates Disclosure.
A tasty and easy 30 minute Mexican rice recipe the whole family will love. Uses your favorite salsa and features tender cheesy pork chops to round out the meal.
Pork chops with easy Mexican rice is one of my favorite recipes. It is so easy to prepare and I usually turn to this recipe when I am short on time and need a quick recipe.
I have made this recipe with bone-in pork chops, boneless pork chops and also with pork tenderloin. The recipe calls for onions and peppers but they are optional! The salsa gives you all the flavor, so don’t stress over chopping veggies unless you just want to include them. In addition, you can totally make this recipe low carb by using cauliflower rice- here’s my recipe for Pork Tenderloin with Cauliflower Rice.
Can diabetics eat Mexican Rice?
If you have looked at any other recipes here, you may notice that most of them are low carb and/or diabetes-friendly. This recipe can most definitely be used for a diabetes diet. Brown rice adds extra fiber to your diet. Studies suggest fiber can help normalize glucose levels. Be sure to measure your rice portion (1/3 cup cooked rice = 15gm carb). Also, as mentioned above, you can forgo the rice and substitute cauliflower rice.
How To Make Pork Chops with Easy Mexican Rice
If you decide to use chopped peppers in your Mexican rice, you may use whatever peppers you like or have on hand. I used a multicolored selection of summer peppers.
Brown your pork chops or tenderloin in hot oil to add extra flavor. (The chops will not be fully cooked at this point.)
After removing the chops, saute the veggies. Add more oil to the skillet if needed.
When the veggies are tender, add the uncooked brown rice and stir.
Measure liquids including the salsa and add to the skillet.
The skillet with the veggies, rice and liquid prior to cooking.
The pork chops are placed on top of the rice veggies and salsa mixture then covered and simmered until done.
Feel free to sprinkle your favorite cheese over the pork chops and Mexican rice to up the yum factor.
Pork Chops with Easy Mexican Rice
- 1 ½ Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb tenderized boneless pork chops
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup peppers, diced (any type)
- 2 each green onions, diced
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 ¼ cup lower sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup salsa, your favorite brand
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to large skillet and heat on medium.
- Salt and pepper pork chops as desired. Brown pork chops (1-2 minutes per side) in hot oil then set aside. (Pork chops will not be fully cooked at this point.)
- Add remaining 1/2 Tbsp oil to skillet and sauté peppers and onions 1-2 minutes over medium heat. Add rice and continue sautéing until rice is slightly browned.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir. Place pork chops on top of rice and cover skillet. Bring rice mixture to a simmer and cook 15-20 minutes until rice is done and pork chops fully cooked.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and allow to melt.