This post may contain affiliate links, see my Affiliates Disclosure.
Tomato pie is a summertime favorite but the carbs in the pie crust can add up. I have developed this recipe to use 1/2 of a pie crust to cut the carbs in half. This low carb tomato pie tastes just as good as the original!
How to make low carb Tomato Pie:
Using an 8″ pan, fit 1/2 of a refrigerated prepared pie crust into the pan.
Prebake the crust
Drain the tomatoes well
Then add the tomatoes, green onions and basil to the crust
Mix up the cheeses and mayo and spread over tomatoes
Bake tomato pie until cheese is golden and bubbly
Tomato Pie made Diabetes Friendly
- ½ prepared pie crust
- 1 cup tomato,diced
- ⅓ cup green onion,chopped
- 10 basil leaves, small, chopped
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- ¼ cup mayo
- ⅛ tsp salt
- dash ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut a prepared roll of pie crust in ½. Return unused ½ to refrigerator for another use. Rollout remaining ½ crust thinly and fit into 8" pan. Prick with fork then bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, lightly salt diced tomatoes and allow to drain.
- Layer tomatoes, green onions and basil into prebaked crust.
- In a small bowl, mix cheese, mayo, salt and pepper. Spread mixture on top of basil.
- Bake pie at 350° for approx 20 minutes or until bubbly and cheese begins to brown.