This post may contain affiliate links, see my Affiliates Disclosure.
Lunch ideas you can enjoy while you keep your diabetes under control. These diabetes friendly meals are quick, low carb and full of flavor. From turkey roll ups to chicken cheesesteak bowls, you will want to add these favorites to your lunch time meal rotation!
This post originally published July 2020, now updated with related topics and recipe specific information.
What can a type 2 diabetic eat for lunch?
- Choose a lunch that is lower carb and with extra fiber if possible*. Including low carb veggies will give you plenty of fiber and vitamins.
- Some of the recipes listed here can be made lower in fat by using reduced fat cheese.
- Higher protein lunches help you avoid the mid afternoon slump which can occur when you overdo on carbs.
- Consult with your diabetes educator to determine the proper number of carbs you need to include in your meal.
- Lower carb tortillas and breads are a good choice for a quick sandwich.
*Low-Carb and Ketogenic Diets in Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes Nutrients. 2019 May; 11(5): 962.
- 3 Ways You Can Take Charge of Type 2 Diabetes
- 10 Diabetes Friendly Snacks
- Diabetes Control: A1C Conversion Chart & Tips
Here's a way you can still enjoy philly cheesesteak without all the added carbs! Stuffed peppers are the answer to your lunch time cravings. Makes a great "leftover lunch" idea!
Turkey and cheese teamed with all your favorite sandwich "fixins" and stuffed in a low carb wrap! You will love how quick and easy this is to make and so versatile-substitute ham or roast beef.
Rotisserie chicken made at home will be your new favorite meal! Use the leftovers to top salads or fill wraps.
Make this recipe to carry with you to work the next day. It heats up perfectly and is SOOOO satisfying!
The ultimate multipurpose lunch recipe! You can use these tasty tenders in any number of delicious recipes-from salads to soups.
Here's a carb controlled way to enjoy a delicious stuffed potato! Makes a complete meal that's easy to re-heat!
One of our most popular recipes! So satisfying with tender chicken pieces combined with peppers, onions and melted cheese.
A low carb soup that's perfect any time of the year! This one pot meal can be used throughout the week as a healthy and filling lunch idea.
Craving gyros? Look no further than this low carb gyros wrapped in lettuce. Top this authentic flavored wrap with our creamy tzatziki sauce.
Fresh tomato flavor shines in this easy and tasty tomato pie. We've cut the carbs in half so dig in!