Just because you are eating low carb, you can still enjoy a delicious and easy breakfast! Low carb breakfast recipes have a tendency to be high calorie and high fat. You can easily modify this recipe to include turkey sausage, lower fat cheese, egg substitute depending on your diet requirements.
A really great plus for this recipe is how well it freezes. This will allow you to grab a pepper packet from the freezer and place in the oven while you are getting ready for work or school. The reheated pepper tastes just as good as when it was first baked!
How to make low carb sausage stuffed poblanos:
- Start with fresh poblano peppers from your garden or grocer. Try to choose flat poblanos so they will hold the filling.
- Slice the poblano peppers lengthwise and scrape out the seeds and pulp.
- Place the poblanos cut side down on foil-lined pan and lightly oil the skins. Place in oven to roast- this will blister the pepper skins to make removal easier.
- After roasting the peppers, cover with a dish towel and steam for a few minutes to loosen the skin then peel off.
- Peeled peppers ready to be stuffed.
- While the peppers roast, prepare the egg, sausage and cheese stuffing.
- Stuff the peppers with egg mixture, then top with cheese and place in oven to warm and melt cheese.
Looking for more low carb breakfast ideas? Check out these posts from around the web!
Low Carb Breakfast Recipes from Peace, Love and Low Carb
Breakfast Dishes from Kalyn’s Kitchen
7 Low Carb Breakfast Recipes to Start Your Day from Diabetes Daily
Low Carb Sausage Stuffed Poblanos
Sausage, eggs and cheese stuffed in a poblano pepper makes a top notch low carb breakfast. Freeze a batch and have a quick weekday gourmet breakfast.
- 2 each poblano peppers
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp cream
- 4 sausage patties, cooked and chopped may use turkey sausage if desired
- 1 cup grated cheese
- salt and pepper
- salsa, optional
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut chilies in half and scrape out seeds and pulp. Lightly coat outside of peppers with oil and place cut side down on foil lined baking pan.
Roast peppers about 20 minutes or until skins are blistered. Cover peppers with cloth and allow to steam 4-5 minutes. Peel skins off peppers.
While peppers are roasting, heat butter in a medium non stick skillet over medium-low heat.
In a medium bowl, combine eggs, cream then lightly salt and pepper. Lightly beat eggs with a fork to mix then pour into skillet. Stir and cook until eggs are set then fold in crumbled sausage and half of cheese.
Divide egg mixture among peppers then top with remaining cheese. Place in oven to melt cheese about 3-4 minutes. Serve with salsa if desired.
Freezing Instructions: Wrap cooked stuffed peppers in individual foil packets and freeze. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 350 degrees and place packet(s) in oven and bake for 20 minutes.