This post may contain affiliate links, see my Affiliates Disclosure.
Ever crave Mexican food but don’t want all the extra carbs? Here’s a meal that helps dash those cravings by including the ingredients everyone loves. You can easily reduce the carbs in this salad by reducing or eliminating the black beans. (Beans are a good source of fiber.)
If you are cooking for family members who prefer traditional Mexican food, just heat up a few tortillas and fill with the fajita chicken mixture and all will enjoy! Be sure to make a little extra for lunch the next day too!
Chicken Fajita Salad
- 4 small low carb tortillas
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 Tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs cut in 1.5"x1" pieces
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced onion may use frozen
- 1/4 cup diced green bell peppers may use frozen
- 3/4 cup black beans
- 8 cups romaine lettuce
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice tortillas into thin strips with a pizza cutter. Place on cookie sheet and bake until crispy-about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside. (Watch carefully to prevent over cooking.)
- Meanwhile, add next 7 ingredients to a zipper lock bag (lemon juice through chicken) and allow to marinate 15-30 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken (discard marinade), onion and bell pepper to skillet and cook until chicken is done throughout- about 10 minutes. Stir to allow even cooking. Add beans to skillet and cook 2-3 minutes to heat thoroughly.
- In 4 large bowls, build salads as follows:
- Romaine, tomatoes, chicken mixture, grated cheese, sour cream, salsa, tortilla strips.