Peanut butter chews are one of my favorite snacks. I rarely make them because most recipes call for low fiber cereal, corn syrup,etc. After experimenting some with the basic recipe, I found a few ways to add in more nutrients while maintaining the distinctive flavor and texture. The next time I make these, I plan to cup the brown sugar back to 1/4 cup just to see how it works out. Hope you enjoy!
Healthy Peanut Butter Chews
- 3 cups whole grain cereal, coarsely crushed
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Combine cereal and flaxseed meal in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, stir together brown sugar and honey over medium heat until combined well and sugar is dissolved. Add peanut butter and stir until melted and smooth.
- Pour over cereal mixture and stir to combine.
- Press evenly into 8 X 8 pan and allow to cool.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate if desired.