This post may contain affiliate links, see my Affiliates Disclosure.
Cornbread stuffing is a side dish you can enjoy year round- not just for holidays! This recipe features some great time savers -Jiffy cornbread mix and pre-chopped veggies. Tastes like Southern cornbread dressing in half the time.
Southern cornbread dressing can be prepared in advance and kept in the refrigerator up to 2 days before you cook and serve. Add diced turkey or chicken to the dressing for a complete meal.
Stuffing or dressing can be made diabetes friendly by carefully watching portion sizes. Adjust the amount of seasonings to suit your tastes. This recipe uses poultry seasoning but you may substitute sage if desired.
Check out our post on Diabetes Friendly Holiday Recipes for more ideas!
How to make Cornbread Dressing:
Step 1: Prepare cornbread and crumble. Mix with breadcrumbs and allow to dry.
Step 2: Dice celery and onions, sauté then add to cornbread mixture. Add broth, seasonings, chicken (if desired) and bake.
Looking for more holiday recipes? Check out these favorites:
Jiffy Cornbread Stuffing
- 2 pkgs Cornbread mix 8.5 oz each
- 2 slices bread, processed into crumbs
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups diced celery about 10 stalks
- 1 cup diced green onion
- ½ teaspoon Emerils original essence seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups chicken or turkey, chopped optional
- Prepare cornbread mix per label instructions. (You may combine the two packages and cook in 11 X 13 pan.) When cooked, turn out onto rack to cool completely.
- Crumble cornbread into large bowl and add bread crumbs. Stir and cover loosely. Set aside at least 30 minutes or overnight to dry out.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Add celery and onion and saute approx 10 minutes until tender. Add to cornbread bowl and stir.
- Add seasonings and broth to cornbread mix and stir. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add diced or chopped chicken or turkey if desired. Spoon into casserole dish. Cook at 350° for 20-30 minutes until heated and crispy on top. If desired, may refrigerate up to 2 days until ready to bake.