This mediterranean pizza has plenty of flavor and crunch. A phyllo crust topped with ricotta, roasted veggies, herbs and cheese makes a beautiful presentation. Personalize it with all your favorite toppings!
This recipe originally published September 2016 now updated with all new photos and step by step instructions and tips.
Phyllo is so versatile I enjoy using it as a lower carb alternative to regular pizza crust. It is sturdy enough to hold up to pizza topping, yet still retains a good "crunch". This pizza is one of my favorite ways to use up extra veggies and/or cheese and you end up with a gorgeous meal! You may also like our other phyllo pizza- Low Carb Tomato Mushroom Pizza.
This pizza is awesome hot out of the oven or warmed up the next day. The topping ingredients are flexible so just use whatever veggies you have- I happened to have some roasted red peppers and a jar of marinated artichoke hearts in the fridge so that's why I included them. You could simply add some black olives or pepperoni if you like. Be sure to check out my Healthy Pizza Alternatives for even more ideas!
- Sliced veggies-squash, zucchini,mushrooms,onions,peppers,etc.
- Olive oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Cheese-ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan
- Extras- roasted red peppers, marinated artichokes
Start by slicing the veggies and adding oil and herbs then roasting in the oven.
Remove the roasted veggies from the oven then set aside.
Next, layer the phyllo sheets on the baking pan. Be sure to spray each layer with non stick spray.
Place prepared phyllo sheets in the oven and pre bake for a crispy crust. Remove crust when slightly browned.
Combine ricotta cheese ingredients and stir well.
Spoon the ricotta mixture on crust and spread evenly.
Add other toppings including roasted veggies and meat, if desired.
Bake pizza to melt cheese and heat throughout.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave your comment and star rating below!
- For Roasted Veggies:
- 1 zucchini sliced
- 1 summer squash sliced
- 4 small portabella mushrooms sliced
- ½ yellow onion sliced
- ½ green pepper sliced
- 7 okra ends trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano or 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- For Pizza:
- 6 phyllo sheets
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ½ teaspoon crushed dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 small marinated artichoke hearts optional
- 2 marinated roasted red peppers optional
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup Italian blend cheese or mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine roasted veggie ingredients in a large bowl and stir to coat. Pour veggies out onto a large baking pan and place in oven to roast approx. 15-20 minutes. (this step may be done in advance- store roasted veggies in refrigerator until ready to use).
- Line a 15" pizza pan (or whatever size pizza pan you have) with parchment paper (if desired).
- Begin layering phyllo sheets onto pizza pan, spraying each layer with non-stick spray.
- Precook phyllo crust 4-5 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from oven.
- Combine ricotta cheese, oregano and garlic. Stir to combine.
- Spread ricotta mixture over phyllo crust, then top with pieces of roasted veggies, artichokes and roasted red peppers (as desired).
- Sprinkle with cheeses and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown.
- Slice into wedges and serve.