How many times do we all get the munchies after the evening meal and need a lil something to snack on? ALL THE TIME!! Am I right? Do you think diabetes friendly (DF) snacks = no taste? Think again!! Here’s a list of diabetes snacks to spark ideas- be sure to check with your meal plan and/or dietitian to make sure you are getting the proper carb amount.
10 Diabetes Friendly Snacks
1. Popcorn- popcorn is considered a good source of whole grain fiber and scores high on the satisfying-to-snack-on scale! Try to limit excess butter and salt on your popcorn by sprinkling on alternative seasonings like nutritional yeast, cinnamon (very diabetes friendly), cumin, chili powder,etc. Check out this recipe for “Dorito” or Taco Popcorn at wholenewmom.com. Looks delish! 3 cups of popped popcorn equals about 15gm carb or go with only 1 cup popcorn for around 5gm carb.
2. Soup- Soup is a great way to get filled up- especially on cold winter nights. Cook up a pot of lower carb veggie/beef soup from today.com (think lean beef, tomatoes, cabbage, carrots, green beans,etc.) and add in your favorite herbs and spices for a boost of antioxidants and flavor. Freeze your soup in 1 cup amounts to make it easy to pop it in the microwave and -boom- instant snack. Depending on the veggies you use, a 1 cup serving will equal 10-20 gms of carbs.
3. 1/2 sandwich- Make yourself a sandwich with your wheat bread or a lower carb tortilla and stuff it full of veggies and add some turkey or chicken and a shot of mustard for a satisfying PM nosh. Depending on your bread or wrap choice this will run you anywhere from 10-15gm carb. Check out some of the cloud bread recipes out there in cyberspace for an even lower carb count.
4. Fruit + cheese- Get your fave small serving fresh fruit (or whatever’s on hand) and add a slice of cheese. How easy is that? You get fiber AND protein- win/win. Depending on your fruit choice, you will be in the range of around 15gm carbs.
5. Eggs- Stash hard boiled eggs in the fridge for getting you through evening tv watching. Better make a few extra because you know you’re gonna have to share… Super low carb…
6. Cheese quesadilla- grab a small tortilla and a sprinkle of cheese, microwave, YUM. A small spoonful of salsa can be added also for flavor. Depending on the tortilla you choose, carb counts will range from 7-15gm carb. (No recipe link for this, so you are on your own. YOU CAN DO THIS!)
7. Nuts and seeds- These are sooo diabetes friendly as the carb counts are super low!! Try walnuts, almonds, pecans,etc. – just monitor your serving size as the calories can add up!! 12 almonds = about 90 calories
8. Greek Yogurt- There are plenty of choices in the yogurt case of your local supermarket. Look for a Greek yogurt that is less than 12gm carb/serving and add in low carb toppers like nuts or seeds for added crunch.
9. Sugar free fudge bars or juice bars- Once again be careful to check labels for your lowest carb choices in this category. Also consider sugar free ice cream in pre-portioned cups for a total carb count of 10-15gm carb.
10. String cheese- String cheese is very low carb so enjoy this snack either with or without a few wheat crackers for a total carb count of 12-15 gm depending on your choice of crackers.
Looking for more info on diabetes control?
Check out my post on 30 Easy Low Carb Snacks!