This post may contain affiliate links, see my Affiliates Disclosure.
Low Carb Steak and Cheese Bowl featuring pepperoncini peppers and provolone cheese. Perfect for low carb diners and also diabetes-friendly. Serve with romaine lettuce leaves for a satisfying low carb meal- warm up a few hoagie buns for the rest of the crowd.
Me: Do we really need another cheesesteak recipe on the blog?
Me: Of course we do, especially when there’s pepperoncini peppers involved!
Me: But won’t we be overdoing the meat + cheese + skillet pictures?
Me: Is that possible? Just call it steak and cheese instead of cheesesteak.
Ok, it’s settled. Another cheesesteak recipe coming up!! This one with actual STEAK! I know, I know, the previous recipes also had STEAK in the title, but those were all build-ups to this one which involves STEAK! (Sorry, my keyboard keeps capitalizing STEAK for some reason.) You can use whatever type of steak you want- here I used minute steak because that’s what I had on hand- but I am planning to use a ribeye steak or a flat iron steak next time. (I just awarded myself a prize for using the word steak over 9 times in that last paragraph.)
Just as the type of steak you use is flexible, so is the type of cheese. I think a pepper-jack would be great or even swiss cheese. In other words, don’t feel like you need to go buy lots of expensive ingredients for this recipe to work. Use whatever cheese you have in your fridge.
Your low carb diners can pile this mixture over a garden salad or fill lettuce leaves. Others can use hoagie buns or toast. I love recipes that will satisfy the whole gang!
Be sure to check out my array of other cheesesteak recipes including:
Let’s get started:
I chopped the pepperoncini into smaller pieces but this is optional:
Browning the strips of steak. Try not to crowd the pieces, so they will brown.
Low Carb Italian Beef and Cheese Bowl
- 4 tsp olive oil, divided
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup marinated sliced pepperoncini, chopped
- 1½ lb steak use your favorite cut
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- romaine lettuce leaves optional
- sliced tomatoes optional
- Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in skillet until warm then add garlic, onions, and pepperoncini peppers. Sauté 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Cut steak into strips and add 2 tsp. worcestershire sauce, stir to combine.
- Heat remaining olive oil in skillet, then add steak strips in batches. (Avoid crowding steak so pieces will brown easier.) Turn steak to brown each side then remove from skillet.
- Add steak and pepperoncini mixture back to skillet and toss to combine. Place 4 slices provolone cheese over all. Cover pan and allow cheese to melt.
- Serve with romaine lettuce leaves and sliced tomatoes, etc.
- Chop the pepperoncini if desired for best texture and taste.
- If possible, use a heavy skillet to sauté the steak for best browning results.
- For best browning results, avoid crowding the steak in the pan.
- Serve with both lettuce leaves and sandwich buns for an easy meal for family/guests.