Southern cornbread dressing is a side dish you can enjoy year round- not just for holidays! This recipe features some great time savers -cornbread mix and pre-chopped veggies. Southern cornbread dressing can be prepared in advance and kept in the refrigerator up to 2 days before you cook and serve. Add diced turkey or chicken to the dressing for a complete meal.
How to make Southern Cornbread Dressing:
Step 1: Prepare cornbread and crumble. Mix with breadcrumbs and allow to dry.
Step 2: Dice celery and onions, sauté then add to cornbread mixture. Add broth, seasonings and bake.
Southern Cornbread Dressing
- 2 pkgs Southern sweet cornbread mix
- 2 slices bread, processed into crumbs
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups diced celery about 10 stalks
- 1 cup diced green onion
- 1/2 tsp Emerils original essence seasoning
- 3/4 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups chicken or turkey, chopped optional
- Prepare cornbread mix per label instructions. (You may combine the two packages and cook in 11 X 13 pan.) When cooked, turn out onto rack to cool completely.
- Crumble cornbread into large bowl and add bread crumbs. Stir and cover loosely. Set aside at least 30 minutes or overnight to dry out.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Add celery and onion and saute approx 10 minutes until tender. Add to cornbread bowl and stir.
- Add seasonings and broth to cornbread mix and stir. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add diced or chopped chicken or turkey if desired. Spoon into casserole dish. Cook at 350° for 20-30 minutes until heated and crispy on top. If desired, may refrigerate up to 2 days until ready to bake.