A list of the best snacking veggies to help keep hunger away! From asparagus to tomatoes , these are low calorie/low carb options that will keep you satisfied. Nutrition expert tips and recommendations for tasty nutritious veggie snack options.
This post originally published June 2016 now updated with references, photos and nutrition information.
Snacking on veggies will help you stay full between meals and will also give you fiber and vitamins. These non-starchy vegetables are considered to be so low in calories and carbs that you can fill up on them without worrying about your diet. Keep some of these ready to go in your refrigerator or make them into a delicious and filling soup. Let's explore our options!
Is snacking on vegetables healthy?
The short answer is YES! (The long answer is also yes!) Check out all the reasons why!*
*Linked reference: "Vegetables and Fruits" Harvard Chan School of Public Health
How can I eat more veggies as snacks?
With just a few dietary tweaks, you can double or triple your vegetable intake!
- Asparagus- roast or air fry asparagus with a little olive oil and garlic
- Beans (green,Italian,wax)- toss blanched green beans with tomatoes and a light vinaigrette for a crunchy side dish.
- Broccoli- use as dippers for low cal dips, roast for a crunchy snack
- Brussels Sprouts- delicious roasted or shredded then sautéed
- Cabbage- combine with tomatoes and green beans for a filling soup or make a slaw using a lite dressing
- Carrots- delicious in soups, muffins or with dip
- Cauliflower- chop and serve with dip
- Celery- use for dips or as a crunchy snack, stuff with cream cheese
- Cucumber- combine with onions for a delicious salad, slice and serve with dip
- Eggplant- roast then top with tomatoes
- Garlic-add to many other veggies for extra flavor boost
- Green Onions- use raw in salads or add to other veggies and roast
- Greens- steamed greens are packed with fiber and vitamins
- Kale- chop and add to salads
- Leeks- delicious added to soups and stews or sauteed with spinach
- Mushrooms- roasted mushrooms, add to salads or stuff with other veggies and bake
- Okra- delicious grilled or air fry
- Onions- also good grilled or roasted
- Pimentos- add to salads or other veggie dishes for flavor and color
- Peppers, Bell-peppers can be roasted or stuffed, use as a scoop for low carb dips
- Radishes- great in salads or as a dipper
- Salad Greens- vary your greens and try some new varieties in your salads
- Spinach- saute with onions and mushrooms, salads
- Squash (summer, zucchini)- great roasted or grilled, spiralized
- Tomato- delicious in most any dish or roast a pan of tomatoes to snack on
- Zucchini- fix a plate of zoodles or zucchini filled muffins