Get a boost of protein from eggs and ham in these easy breakfast muffins. A touch of spinach makes them seem like a fancy brunch treat. Make them the night before for grab and go!
I was so pleased with my Sweet Potato Breakfast Cups that I decided to create a florentine version! These little spinach breakfast cups are so delicious and are a super-easy grab and go breakfast during hectic weekdays. I mean, think about it, you're sitting in the carpool eating spinach AND sweet potatoes for breakfast!!?? How can you not have the best day EVER??
Just so you know, I am a huge fan of breakfast! If you are going to the effort to make it, why not put a nutrition punch in there also? These muffins/egg cups are the perfect combo of ingredients. Bright colored veggies and where it's at and these muffins are chock full of the good stuff. If you are a fan of sweet potatoes at breakfast too, check out my Skillet Sweet Potatoes, Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole Cups and Sweet Potato Hash!
- Sweet potato tots- These are located in the grocery freezer section.
- Spinach- also in freezer section.
- Eggs- I used large size eggs.
- Ham- I used a no nitrate added ham found in grocery lunch meat cooler.
- Cheese- Optional, but adds an enticing crust when melted.
Place about 5-6 tots in muffin cups and allow to thaw.
After thawed, mash the tots with a fork and form a crust in muffin cup.
Pre-bake the mashed tots about 10 minutes.
Pour ingredients in muffin tin then top with cheese.
Hint: I always use muffin tin liners to make clean up so much easier!
- Make it vegetarian -leave out the ham
- Can't find sweet potato tots? Shred a sweet potato instead.
- Don't like ham? Use sausage, bacon, browned ground pork or browned ground turkey.
See the no spinach version of this recipe: Sweet Potato Breakfast Cups.
💭 Top tip
Be sure to let the tots thaw before attempting this recipe. You may leave the bag of tots in the refrigerator over night or thaw them in the microwave if short on time.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave your star rating and comment below!
Egg and Spinach Muffins
- 20 ounce pkg. frozen sweet potato tots , thawed
- Non-stick spray
- 9 oz . frozen chopped spinach , thawed and drained
- 5 eggs , lightly beaten
- ½ cup diced ham
- salt/pepper , as desired
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- Cheese , grated (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with non-stick spray or use liners.
- Place 5-6 tots in each cup. Shred tots with fork and press into muffin tin to form crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove cups and set aside, lower oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients in a medium bowl and stir well to combine.
- Divide egg mixture evenly between cups. Top with grated cheese if desired.
- Bake 20 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Makes 12 breakfast muffins.
Hi, I will be making these this weekend! Do you have the nutritional facts? Thank you.
Thank you so much! They are awesome....
Hi. Could you freeze these & reheat in the mornings?
Yes you can freeze these and reheat. Hope you enjoy and thanks for visiting Easyhealth Living!
What is the best way to reheat frozen breakfast muffins.
I can’t wait to try your recipes.
I would wrap the muffins in a paper towel then heat on defrost until warm. Hope that helps and thanks for visiting easyhealth living!
Can you substitute the ham for sausage or lean cut bacon?
I've never made this recipe with anything other than ham, but I think either sausage or bacon would be delicious. Hope you enjoy the recipe!
What are tots? I’m in UK
Hi, tots are crunchy cylinders of potato. Here’s a better definition: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tater_tots