This post may contain affiliate links, see my Affiliates Disclosure.
Don’t you just love pesto?? It is awesomely delicious and can be used in so many recipes! The traditional use for pesto (in my mind) is with pasta, which is also very good, but I want to branch out and see if I can add a touch of pesto to other recipes. Since pesto is basically oil, basil, nuts and garlic, it is a low carb food. In today’s post, I will show you how to make pesto chicken (I grilled mine but you can also cook on the stove top) and ways to incorporate it into delicious low carb meals. Lets get started:
HOW TO MAKE PESTO CHICKEN
Here’s a shot of the finished pesto chicken with a little mozzarella cheese melted on top. YUM! See the next few pics for ideas on how to use the chicken in some low carb meals.
Try the pesto chicken in a sandwich using very thin sliced bread! I added lettuce and tomato and some caesar dressing. Feel free to use your favorite dressing. (The bread I used was about 7gm carb per slice.)
Pesto chicken adds a burst of flavor to salads. Here I added roasted red peppers, spinach, cherry tomatoes, olives and feta cheese.
Low Carb Pesto Chicken
- 1.75 lb chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese optional
- Slice chicken breasts lengthwise into long thin pieces. Place in small mixing bowl.
- Add pesto to chicken and mix well to coat all pieces. Place in refrigerator until ready to cook.
- Either sautéed pieces in iron skillet (coated with olive oil) or grill over medium heat until chicken is completely done and registers 165 degrees on meat thermometer.
- Sprinkle chicken with mozzarella or parm cheese and melt. (optional)
- Use chicken on salads, in wraps or sandwiches. Use as protein food for meal prep.