Ok, so you’re probably looking at this patty melt pic and saying to yourself “How can this be low carb??” Well, I’m gonna tell you if you stick with me! Whether you are cooking for low carb eaters or not, this patty melt recipe tastes delicious and is super satisfying. The finishing touch is the “comeback sauce” which is a variation of the special sauce used on burgers and sandwiches. I used a thin slice bread for this recipe- if you are unable to find this, use one slice of regular bread to keep carb counts low. SO LET’S GET STARTED!
This pic shows the thinly sliced onions ready to be cooked in a lightly oiled skillet.
Here are the onions, fully cooked and golden brown after about 15 minutes.
Here’s a sneak preview of the easy comeback sauce- the finishing touch on the patty melt recipe.
The finished patty melt = thin toast + comeback sauce + beef patty + onions + queso cheese
Low Carb Patty Melt
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil or butter
- 1 medium onion,sliced
- 1 lb. ground beef, grass fed if available
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- 3 Tbsp. queso melting cheese
- 8 slices thin-sliced bread
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1/2 Tbsp. dill pickle relish
- dash Worcestershire sauce
- To prepare Comeback Sauce:Mix all ingredients well. Use this as a sandwich spread with patty melts.
- Heat oil or butter in a large skillet then add sliced onion. Cook and stir until soft and golden brown-about 15 minutes. Remove from skillet and keep warm.
- Add worcestershire sauce to ground beef and form into 4 thin patties. Sprinkle with salt and pepper as desired. Place patties in skillet and cook over medium heat turning as needed until fully cooked.
- Place onions on top of cooked patties, then pour melted queso over all.
- Toast bread slices. Spread 2 slices toast with comeback sauce then add a patty with onions and cheese to form sandwich.