This post may contain affiliate links, see my Affiliates Disclosure.
Greek yogurt sauce for chicken is full of the delicious flavors of curry, cinnamon and garlic. This one dish roasted chicken is the perfect recipe for family meals and special occasions.
So many studies show that spices such as cinnamon and turmeric can have positive effects on glucose levels of people with diabetes. If you are unfamiliar with these spices, I developed Greek Yogurt Skillet Roasted Chicken to help introduce these delicious spices into your diet. This recipe contains a hint of these spices, just enough to give a nice flavor without being overwhelming.
I am always looking for ways to include more spices of any type in my diet as they have incredible antioxidant and disease prevention qualities. Some authorities suggest these properties are enhanced by heating the spices before use. Before adding spices to your recipe, try warming a small amount of butter or oil in a small saucepan then add your spices and stir. The spices will yield a wonderful aroma!
What is Greek yogurt sauce chicken?
Marinating your chicken in a yogurt mixture helps to tenderize and flavor the chicken. We are including curry, cinnamon and garlic in our sauce for even more delicious taste! Be sure to check your spices to make sure they are still in date for best results. The Greek yogurt sauce coats the chicken and makes it cook up brown and tasty.
Why this recipe works
- Uses your favorite chicken pieces or cut up whole chicken.
- Enjoy a mild spice flavor rather than overpowering amounts- makes a family friendly meal.
- Brown the chicken prior to roasting for brown and crunchy coating.
- One skillet meal means quick and easy clean up!
The main ingredients:
- Chicken– use your favorite pieces- just remember bone in chicken will take longer to fully cook.
- Greek Yogurt– we will use about 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt. You may increase this amount if making a larger amount of roasted chicken.
- Spices– we are using curry and cinnamon to flavor the marinade.
How to make this recipe:
- Step 1- Measure marinade ingredients into bowl
- Step 2- Combine mixture and stir well
- Step 3- Coat chicken pieces in mixture and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes if possible.
- Step 4- Brown chicken pieces in skillet then bake to finish cooking.
- Try to marinate the chicken at least 30 minutes. Up to 2-3 hours is even better to help infuse the chicken with the spices.
- Check your spices for freshness. Replace any expired spices for best results.
- Brown a few pieces of chicken at a time in the skillet- avoid crowding
Frequently asked questions
The lactic acid and calcium help break down the protein in the chicken making it super tender and moist.
Chicken can be marinated in yogurt up to 24 hours without becoming mushy.
Hope you enjoy this Low Carb Beef Stroganoff Recipe! Be sure to check out these other low carb favorites:
- Low Carb Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
- Low Carb Chili Relleno Casserole
- Low Carb Pork Lettuce Wraps
- Low Carb Ricotta Cheesecake Fluff
Did you make this recipe? Please leave your star rating and comment below!
Greek Yogurt Skillet Roasted Chicken
- 2 # raw chicken pieces
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Butter or olive oil for browning chicken
- Place chicken in a large zipper lock plastic bag.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, oil, lemon juice, garlic, curry powder, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Add mixture to plastic bag with chicken and place in refrigerator to marinate at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add 1 teaspoon butter or olive oil to a medium size iron or oven-proof skillet and heat on medium until butter melts.
- Add a few pieces chicken to skillet (avoid crowding) and brown- about 4-5 minutes on each side. Remove chicken to a plate as it browns and add more pieces to skillet until all chicken has been browned. (Add more butter or olive oil to skillet as needed.)
- Return all chicken pieces to skillet and place in oven to roast until chicken is fully cooked (at least 165 degrees internal temp) about 40-50 minutes.